Walk across the Kii Peninsula on the 1200-year-old UNESCO world heritage listed Kumano Kodo from the trailhead to the end at Nachi-san, via the sacred Kumano mountains. The Buddhists believe this pilgrimage effectively purifies the mind, soul and spirit, even if you’re not a Buddhist there’s a real sense of improved wellbeing on completion.
Hike the Kumano Kodo each day as it cuts its way through mountains, forests, small villages and to staggering, beautiful Japanese shrines, brought alive by the Japanese monks that live there. In the evening relax and soak in an onsen while staying in character-filled Japanese accommodations, savouring elaborate traditional Japanese multi-course dinners and breakfasts.
HIGHLIGHTS OF THE KUMANO KODO:
- Take the extra time to walk the Kumano Kodo at a slower pace. Importantly you can take the options to shorten the walks each day if you wish
- Savour authentic Japanese dinners and breakfasts, served in elegant tatami mat settings, staying in small traditional Japanese Ryokans or Minshuku’s
- With local 24/7 support on the ground for your safety
- Walk toward becoming a dual pilgrim by walking the Kumano Kodo (the other world heritage listed walk is the Camino de Santiago)
- Walk on well graded ancient trails, with wondrous views, through old forest and bathe in onsens each day
- Hike with a company that has nearly 30 years of experience providing self-guided walks
- We’ve taken the time to walk the Kumano Kodo trails multiple times to ensure our walkers have the best possible experience
$per person twin/double share
Australian hotel accommodations charge the same price per room regardless of whether there is one or two people occupying it.
In order to cover the cost of the accommodation when occupied by one person we need to charge the single supplement fee, a cost that we make no margin on.
Moderate to Challenging
Grade 4 - Moderate to ChallengingDistances are longer up to 20km. Steep hill sections and rough surfaces. Walking experience and active lifestyle necessary.
Data required for rest of form
Walk Length: Days
Person Single Cost: $
Single Supplement: $