Kumano’s sacred mountains have been a major pilgrimage destination for the imperial and aristocratic families since 794AD. The 1200-year-old Kumano Kodo walk traverses mountains, forest, through villages and to fabulous ancient temples and waterfalls. A pilgrimage to purify mind, soul and spirit and in its current format is bound to leave you with a real sense of improved wellbeing.
Walk the Kumano Kodo, one of two UNESCO’s world heritage listed walks, and then at night soak in an onsen while staying in traditional Japanese accommodation, savouring elaborate traditional Japanese multi-course dinners and breakfasts.
HIGHLIGHTS OF THE KUMANO KODO NAKAHECHI:
- An ancient hike through Buddhist and Shinto history together with an immersive back county Japanese cultural experience away from the ultra-hyper modern city.
- Walk toward becoming a dual pilgrim by walking the Kumano Kodo (the other world heritage listed walk is the Camino de Santiago)
- Each day enjoy authentic Japanese meals served in elegant tatami mat settings, staying in small traditional Japanese Ryokans or Minshukus, plus walkers lunches.
- Local support on the ground for your safety
- Walk pack free on well-graded trails, with wondrous views, through old forest and bathe in onsens each day. We can vary the lengths of walks on the Kumano Kodo most days. We can also remove the rest day if you wish.
- See the Grand Shrines at Hongu and Nachi-san, along with Nachi-taki waterfall
- Walk with a company that has nearly 30 years of experience providing self-guided walks and are hands-on. We’ve taken the time to walk the Kumano Kodo trails multiple times to ensure we deliver the best possible experience.
$per person twin/double share
Australian hotel accommodations charge the same price per room regardless of whether there is one or two people occupying it.
In order to cover the cost of the accommodation when occupied by one person we need to charge the single supplement fee, a cost that we make no margin on.
Moderate to Challenging
Grade 4 - Moderate to ChallengingDistances are longer up to 20km. Steep hill sections and rough surfaces. Walking experience and active lifestyle necessary.
Data required for rest of form
Walk Length: Days
Person Single Cost: $
Single Supplement: $