The visit to the spiritual capital of Shingon Buddhism in Japan the world heritage listed Koyasan sets the tone for the rest of the walking. Koyasan, located at the top of Mount Koya is famous not only for its’ temples but also for its natural beauty. It is an ancient town that marks the end of the Kumano Kodo Kohechi route not to mention the many other excellent pilgrimage walks.
Hike along the Choishi Stupa route to Koyasan and the full Kumano Kodo Nakahechi as it cuts its way through mountains, forest, small villages and to beautiful Japanese temples brought alive by the Japanese monks that live there. In the evening relax and soak in an onsen while staying in character-filled Japanese accommodation, savouring elaborate traditional Japanese multi-course dinners and breakfasts.
HIGHLIGHTS OF THE KUMANO KODO NAKAHECHI:
- Take the extra time to walk both Koyasan and the 1200-year-old world heritage listed Kumano Kodo Nakahechi route at a slower pace all the way to Nachisan. Importantly you can take the options to shorten the walks each day if you wish.
- 2 night stay in a Koyasan Buddhist temple and participate (only if you wish to) in the temple morning rituals.
- 7 night stay in small traditional Japanese Ryokans or Minshukus savouring authentic Japanese dinners and breakfasts served in elegant tatami mat settings.
- Walk toward becoming a dual pilgrim by walking the Kumano Kodo (the other world heritage listed walk is the Camino de Santiago), with local 24/7 support on the ground for your safety.
- Well graded ancient trails, wondrous views, old forest and bathe in onsens each day.
- Walk with a company that has nearly 30 years of experience providing self-guided walks and are hands-on. We’ve taken the time to walk the Kumano Kodo trails multiple times to ensure we deliver the best possible experience.
$per person twin/double share
Australian hotel accommodations charge the same price per room regardless of whether there is one or two people occupying it.
In order to cover the cost of the accommodation when occupied by one person we need to charge the single supplement fee, a cost that we make no margin on.
Moderate to Challenging
Grade 4 - Moderate to ChallengingDistances are longer up to 20km. Steep hill sections and rough surfaces. Walking experience and active lifestyle necessary.
Data required for rest of form
Walk Length: Days
Person Single Cost: $
Single Supplement: $