Kumano’s sacred mountains were a major pilgrimage destination for the imperial and aristocratic families since 794AD. The Kumano Kodo traverses the sacred Kii mountains, via forest, through villages and to fabulous ancient temples and waterfalls. We add an extra days walk to this trip with a walk on the Kohechi route which is the toughest of all the routes. The Kohechi connects the spiritual hubs of Koyasan and Hongu and was used by pilgrims and merchants alike.
The Kumano Kodo is one of just two world heritage listed walks the other being the Camino de Santiago. After each day’s epic walk soak in an onsen while staying in traditional Japanese accommodation, savouring excellent traditional Japanese multi-course dinners and breakfasts.
HIGHLIGHTS OF THE KUMANO KODO:
- An ancient walk through Buddhist and Shinto history and an immersive backcountry Japanese cultural experience away from the ultra-hyper modern city.
- Local Japanese meals served in elegant tatami mat settings staying in traditional Japanese Ryokans or Minshukus.
- Local support on the ground for your safety
- Walk toward becoming a dual pilgrim by walking the Kumano Kodo (the other world heritage listed walk is the Camino de Santiago) at you own pace
- Excellent graded trails, wondrous views, old forest and bathe in onsens each day. We can vary the lengths of walks on the Kumano Kodo most days. We can also remove the rest day if you wish.
- See the Grand Shrines at Hongu and Nachi-san, along with Nachi-taki waterfall
- Walk with a company that has nearly 30 years of experience providing self-guided walks and are hands-on. We’ve taken the time to walk the Kumano Kodo trails multiple times to ensure we deliver the best possible experience.
$per person twin/double share
Australian hotel accommodations charge the same price per room regardless of whether there is one or two people occupying it.
In order to cover the cost of the accommodation when occupied by one person we need to charge the single supplement fee, a cost that we make no margin on.
Moderate to Challenging
Grade 4 - Moderate to ChallengingDistances are longer up to 20km. Steep hill sections and rough surfaces. Walking experience and active lifestyle necessary.
Data required for rest of form
Walk Length: Days
Person Single Cost: $
Single Supplement: $